To help you succeed with gluten-free baking, here are some tips from our book Morning Glory’s Farm Food: Stories from the Fields, Recipes from the Kitchen.
- Bring all ingredients to room temperature before mixing.
- Make sure your batter isn’t cold when it goes into the oven.
- If batter is cooler than room temperature, allow it to rest next to the preheating oven to come up to room temperature.
- Too much moisture can make for a gummy product. If tea breads and cakes are coming out gummy, or falling after baking:
- Check the oven temperature. Some ovens never quite reach the proper temperature. If this is the case, bake the items for longer or increase the temperature setting.
- If oven temperature is not the issue, try reducing the liquid in batters by a tablespoon or two.
- When making gluten-free zucchini bread, pressing out the moisture prevents the loaf from becoming gummy in the center.
- Humidity can cause flours to absorb moisture from the air.
Photo by Alison Shaw.