Title: Farm Handyman / Handywoman
Hours: 42.5 hr week, 7:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. with some flexibility and seasonal changes
Report to: Operations Manager, Daniel Athearn
Wage: See below
This position fulfills the widely varied tasks of keeping our farm’s equipment and buildings running efficiently. The successful candidate will be one of three people responsible for our in-house repair and maintenance work. Depending on one’s skill sets, the work can include light carpentry, basic tractor/truck repairs, touch-up painting, small tool repair and so many more unique tasks that occur on a diverse farm. This position demands a basic mechanical knowledge and/or the confidence in handing tools and the workmanship to finish the task, working alongside two more experienced people and learning from them while keeping our busy farm running smoothly.
From light bulbs to line welding, the Farm Handyman is presented with a smorgasbord of unique tasks daily. A person with an enjoyment of tools and repair will find this job very satisfying.
- To undertake the list of tasks and repairs given by the Operations Manager.
- To complete their work efficiently and accurately, while minimizing costs.
- To ensure work areas, tools and machine shop are kept clean, tidy, stocked and well cared for.
- To ask for help when needed and know when to call a professional.
- To be able to move quickly and safely with sometimes large and potentially dangerous tools and equipment.
- To support other farm tasks when the position’s requirements allow, most commonly in light tractor work, irrigation, fueling.
- 18 years or older
- Repair experience a plus, though not mandatory
- Must have held a previous job successfully
- Must be self-motivated and team oriented
- Must have a U.S. driver’s license
- Non-smokers preferred
- This job requires patience and heavy lifting.
We are looking for people who want to work hard, enjoy the company of their fellow workers, produce a worthwhile product, enjoy the outdoors (rain or shine), and apply their energies to the success of our cause. Good workers will find themselves in excellent company. Compensation is based on experience: $13/hr base without experience. Apply online »»